Dogwood is so lucky to have two fantastic parent liaisons who run our parent resource center, Dogwood Connections:
They support school-family communication in English and Spanish, plan for family engagement opportunities, and find resources for our families. Just in the past month, they been busy with our Turkey Outreach Program, Holiday Assistance Program, and parent coffees. We thank Ms. Isaza and Ms. Livingood and for all that they do!
If you have not yet visited our Dogwood Connection, you are welcome to stop by the center located in the trailer outside of Dogwood’s door 5. Our parent liaisons would love to meet you, and we would love to see you too!
Goals of Parent Liaison Program
Parent liaisons help parents understand how they can become more involved in their children’s education through the following:
- Orienting families to the school and school system.
- Helping families navigate the school system to advocate for their children.
- Educating parents to understand ways in which the family can assist student achievement.
- Linking families to school professionals and resources.
- Making arrangements to have language interpreters/translators at school meetings.
- Helping families connect with special services needed by the children.
- Making arrangements for school-sponsored parent programs.
Parent liaisons also help school personnel understand more about home cultures through the following:
- Providing information and strategies to help school personnel better understand and outreach to families from all backgrounds. •
- Facilitating intercultural understanding and respect in the school and community.